If you would like to have your baby baptised, it is a Parish requirement that you first complete a preparation course. Please ensure that you are also registered with the Parish.
Please note: if you intend to have your baby baptised outside of the parish, then you must first seek
Fr Austin’s permission and obtain a letter of permission from Fr Austin for the priest who will be conducting the baptism.
Equally, if you live outside the Parish and wish to have your baby baptised in Andover, you will need a letter of permission from your Parish Priest at home.
Application forms for Baptism as a pdf below or from the Parish Office.
To be admitted to undertake the office of Godparent a person must:
- Be not less than sixteen years of age.
- Be a Catholic, who has received the Blessed Eucharist, has been confirmed, and who lives a life of faith which befits the role to be undertaken. The minimum requirement is one Catholic Godparent.
- Any other person asked to act as a Godparent should be a believing, baptized Christian, ‘they may participate in Catholic Rites of baptism but obviously they cannot offer the guarantees required of the true godparent so they are called "witnesses". Those guarantees involve a commitment to foster the faith received by the child from the Church at baptism and to assist in fulfilling those duties that are implicit in the new baptismal dignity of the child, i.e. attend church’ (cann. 872-874).
- Any non-Catholic person will be entered onto the Baptismal Certificate as 'witness' provided that they have been baptised/christened into a Christian Faith.
- Unbaptised people cannot act as Godparents or Witnesses.
First Holy Communion 2020-2021
The dates for the First Communion Programme can be found below.
All children who attend St John the Baptist School will follow the programme in school as an after school activity on either the first Tuesday or Wednesday of the month.
All children who do not attend St John the Baptist School will follow the programme in the Church Hall on the first Tuesday of the month.
Please refer to the programme below for all dates.
First Holy Communion 2021 - 2022
Registration for 2021 - 2022 has now closed.
If you are planning to get married in the coming year then you must contact the Parish Office - attendance on a Marriage Preparation Course is a requirement - please contact the Parish Office for further information.This also applies if you are resident in the parish but are planning to get married in another parish. In order to complete paperwork, a minimum of six months notice of a forthcoming marriage is requested. The Parish runs a Marriage Preparation Course at the beginning of each year.
Alternatively . . . at Marriage Care, Reading Centre
Catholic Marriage Care, are continuing to offer marriage preparation and relationship counselling, although they have had to adapt the way they do things.
Further details on all Marriage Care’s services can be found on the Marriage Care website: www.marriagecare.org.uk or you can contact Sue Cooper (Head of Catholic Marriage Care in Reading) at email@example.com or phone 07939495774.