If you would like to have your baby baptised, it is a Parish requirement that you first complete a preparation course. Please ensure that you are also registered with the Parish.
Please note: if you intend to have your baby baptised outside of the parish, then you must first seek
Fr Austin’s permission and obtain a letter of permission from Fr Austin for the priest who will be conducting the baptism.
Equally, if you live outside the Parish and wish to have your baby baptised in Andover, you will need a letter of permission from your Parish Priest at home.
Application forms for Baptism can also be found in the Church porch or as a pdf below.
PARISH BAPTISM COURSE
The next Parish Baptism Course Evening will be on Tuesday 3rd September at 7.00pm in the Parish House..
To be admitted to undertake the office of Godparent a person must:
- Be not less than sixteen years of age.
- Be a Catholic, who has received the Blessed Eucharist, has been confirmed, and who lives a life of faith which befits the role to be undertaken. The minimum requirement is one Catholic Godparent.
- Any other person asked to act as a Godparent should be a believing, baptized Christian, ‘they may participate in Catholic Rites of baptism but obviously they cannot offer the guarantees required of the true godparent so they are called "witnesses". Those guarantees involve a commitment to foster the faith received by the child from the Church at baptism and to assist in fulfilling those duties that are implicit in the new baptismal dignity of the child, i.e. attend church’ (cann. 872-874).
- Any non-Catholic person will be entered onto the Baptismal Certificate as 'witness' provided that they have been baptised/christened into a Christian Faith.
- Unbaptised people cannot act as Godparents or Witnesses.
FIRST HOLY COMMUNION for June 2020
We hold the children’s meetings in the Church Hall once a month from 4.00pm to 5.00pm
on the first Tuesday and Wednesday of every month.
The Information Evening for all parents who have registered their children will be on
Thursday 26th September at 7.30pm in the Parish Hall.
If you are planning to get married in the coming year then you must contact the Parish Office - attendance on a Marriage Preparation Course is a requirement - please contact the Parish Office for further information.This also applies if you are resident in the parish but are planning to get married in another parish. In order to complete paperwork, a minimum of six months notice of a forthcoming marriage is requested. The Parish runs a Marriage Preparation Course at the beginning of each year, over six Sunday evenings. If that is not convenient, or you would like a 'one day' course then Reading Marriage Care may be the answer.:
Marriage Care Reading Centre
Marriage Preparation in the Catholic Church 2019
Congratulations on your engagement. Getting married is not just about having a great wedding day, it is about having a great marriage. And we can help you both be better prepared for married life.
Marriage Care Reading Centre, offers two marriage preparation options:
- The Preparing Together day-course, which costs £110 per couple and
- FOCCUS, which costs £150 per couple.
After each course you will receive a certificate of attendance. You may find it valuable to do both courses.
Preparing for Marriage in the Catholic Church: One day course
Venue: St Mary's Church Centre, Station Road, Twyford, Berkshire, RG10 9NT
Course dates: September 14th.
Venue: St. Edmund Campion Church Hall, 40A Altwood Rd, Maidenhead SL6 4PY
Course dates: November 9th
On the one-day course you join with other engaged couples to explore themes that we know are important in successful relationships such as communication, commitment, handling conflict and change. Couples who have attended the day tell us that it is sociable, enjoyable and provides a great model for married life.
FOCCUS: ( Facilitating Open Couple Communication, Understanding and Study )
FOCCUS is designed to help engaged couples appreciate their unique relationship, learn more about themselves, and discuss important topics to their lifelong marriage. Each of you privately answers a rapid response questionnaire. Your answers are analysed and used as the basis for two discussion sessions with a trained facilitator. FOCCUS is not an aptitude test or examination. Together, with the help of the facilitator, you will become more aware of areas where discussion and negotiation is desirable, and where you can be confident of shared strengths and values.
How to book these courses? Either online, by visiting the marriage care website www.marriagecare.org.uk/, or by phoning the Appointments Service at 0800 389 3801.